Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thing #15: SlideShare

And with Thing #15: Presentations go social, it's time for SlideShare. The value of this thing is also quite obvious. I need no convincing.

If nothing else, seeing a lineup of slideshows on this site convinced me of the need to make more interesting title slides. Mine are boring, plain text on a white background. Looked great projected onto an uneven cinderblock wall. Not so great on the web.

I'm sorry that I have no audio track to sync with my slides. If I had known about SlideShare before I did my presentations, I would have probably gone to the effort of borrowing equipment that would have let me record one of my rehearsals, so I could add it.

My user name on SlideShare is akroeger, and I uploaded two presentations from last year. I really love how the notes I attached to each slide display below the presentation. That way, the lack of audio isn't a big deal, as the full text of my presentation is fully accessible without any special action on the viewer's part. I am not so thrilled, however, with the way paragraph breaks are stripped and bullets become garbled in the slide notes, turning a neat, orderly display into a massive, unreadable brick of text. But that's a relatively minor quibble.

I do have one not-so-minor quibble. I revised my slideshows to fix the notes so they'd display better. When I replaced the slideshows, however, SlideShare still displayed and played the old versions with the garbled notes. Even renaming the files before replacing them didn't work. (Yes, I did refresh the page.) I had to entirely delete the original presentations, then upload them anew. They're the way I want them now, but it shouldn't have been that much trouble.

Below is a presentation I did at last year's TSRT Spring Meeting. You'll have to go to SlideShare directly to see the notes.

No comments: